Level of Consciousness

Level of Consciousness Forum Index
   Spiritual Discussions
  Do yogis and the like need little sleep?

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  Alc
      Alc
Do yogis and the like need little sleep?

From
I thought I read somewhere that that maybe yogis and spiritual masters need little sleep, maybe like 1 to 3 hours a day? Can someone confirm this? Do those with really high LoC need little sleep. Also does anyone know how many hours a day DRH sleeps. Just wondering if this had anything to do with the higher LOC levels when siddhis comes to effect.

Also I heard that conscious or the subconscious doesn't sleep, but am not sure.
Posted on: 2009/9/11 23:35
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  sagetwooh
      sagetwooh
Re: Do yogis and the like need little sleep?
From NYC
This is true. Yogis even teach a method of falling asleep called yogic sleep which is supposed to help one rest most efficiently and need less sleep. Yogananda used to (and maybe still does) have a video on youtube teaching yogic sleep...it's very old black and white.

Spiritual practice in general gives one energy and reduces the need for sleep.

A plausible explanation is that we live in a society of suppression. Physically what happens is that you clutch and resist the feelings in your feeling center...particularly the negative ones that calibrate below 200.

As spiritual practice helps to resolve and/or surrender those feelings the previously wasted energy is freed resulting in more vitality.

DH has said that an enlightened ones' brain waves stabilize at theta which is close to sleep anyway so it's also possible that they spend their day at near that level.

I'm sure there's much more we could say about it.

I've heard of advanced yogis who have gone years or so without sleeping.
peace.
Posted on: 2009/9/12 0:15
  •  Alc
      Alc

From
sagetwooh,

Thank you this is very helpful to me.

This reason I ask this was because my sleeping habits have sen a drastic change the last few weeks. I use to go to bed around 11pm or 12am at night, then wake at 6 for work, even then I'd still feel I needed more sleep. I would also take a nap after work at 5pm or so for about 1 or 2 hours.

Well lately I would go to bed at my usual time and I would get up anywhere between 2am and 4am, and can't go back to sleep at all. And if I took a nap after work at 5pm, I wouldn't fall asleep till maybe about 3am. I would just lay there awake trying my best to fall asleep. I thought I was developing some sort of insomnia attack, I tried everything short of going to see a doctor to bring my sleep habits back to the way it was, I thought there was something wrong. I even tried drinking beer to help me sleep, nothing was really working.

It wasn't till a few days ago that I sorta remembered that I read a long time ago that some yogis or holy men needed little sleep, but I wasn't sure. And I've been experiencing some stuff lately relating to kundalini or something, and slowly somehow made the connection to it. Which is really funny since you answered that question at the same time also.

I'm certainly no yogi, far from it. But I need far less sleep than I use to. I was thinking this was bad but now I realize maybe its not.

This question relates to my other thread on low level kundalini. Which I do find interesting that you answered at the same time since they are interrelated.
Posted on: 2009/9/12 16:56
  •  greymagus
      greymagus

From Asheville, NC
It is true that yogis and Enlightened people often need very little sleep. Sahdguru Jaggi Vasudev has said precisely the same things as Dr. Hawkins. He needs only 1-3 hours of sleep. The way he described it is that his body and mind "are constantly at rest anyway", i.e. in a state of Theta. By all accounts of those around him, it seems to be true; he seems to be utterly tireless, constantly traveling and rarely sleeping. He can tolerate conditions that would make the average person shrivel with fatigue.

However, I do not think that this is a state that the average person can reach merely by increased Kundalini activity. Your mind is what really needs the sleep, the body is capable of resting by merely sitting still. The main reason sleep is not needed as much for the Enlightened is that their brains are in a state of Theta and are less buzzing with activity than non-Enlightened people. They are in a state of "No-Mind", therefore the mind doesn't need to rest nearly as much or at all.

Michael
Posted on: 2009/9/14 15:14
  •  Alc
      Alc

From
Thanks for the info that was insightful. I think the lower primal brain tends to want to sleep a lot.
Posted on: 2009/9/20 18:33
  •  VonBock
      VonBock

From
I doubt the drop in the need for sleep has necessarily much to do with a high personal LoC. When I started doing some eastern energetic exercise, my need for sleep, which had been pretty high, dropped to 4-5 hours. Similar results have been reported by others... I would note that some human potential movements like rebirthing and Sedona Method as it was originally taught by Lester Levenson advocate eliminating sleep.
Posted on: 2009/9/21 2:27
  •  Alc
      Alc

From
My original premise for this question wasn't necessarily about having to do with high LoC although it was phrased that way not knowing what else to compare it to, but more with having to do with the effects of kundalini and the like.
Posted on: 2009/9/25 2:23
  •  pachelbeld
      pachelbeld

From
You might check out Yoga Nidra on the internet. It deals with falling asleep.
Posted on: 2009/10/16 19:04
  •  greymagus
      greymagus

From Asheville, NC
Quote:

Alc wrote:
My original premise for this question wasn't necessarily about having to do with high LoC although it was phrased that way not knowing what else to compare it to, but more with having to do with the effects of kundalini and the like.

Understood. I guess it's possible that kundalini may be lessening your need for sleep. In Kundalini yoga, it is claimed that the level of mastery over the chakras dictates the amount of sleep you need, progressively less as you master each chakra.

Also, everytime I attended Sadhguru's Bhava Spandana program, it seemed to me that he literally sent out energy at specified times to wake us up each day. Like clockwork, on the Saturday and Sunday of each program I attended, I was awakened at 5:30am (regardless of how tired I was) by energy pulsing up my spine - so strong a pulse that it literally felt like something was undulating up my back. And for the most part, even though we got precious little sleep during the program, I wasn't tired during the day.

So, yeah, maybe if your kundalini is more active lately, then that may explain the lessened need for sleep. I guess if you're not bothered by it and wake refreshed each day, I wouldn't worry about it.

Michael
Posted on: 2009/10/16 20:50
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.